In March 2010, PSI Laos, in collaboration with the Lao Center for HIV/AIDS and STIs (CHAS) and in support of the National HIV/AIDS Program, conducted a survey of male to female Transgenders (MtF TG) in Vientiane Capital and Savannakhet Province. A total of 450 MtF TGs participated in this survey; including 320 in Vientiane Capital and 130 in Savannakhet. Behavioral and disease (HIV/STI) level data was collected to monitor the impact of PSI interventions on key target behaviors among TGs.
1. Compared with regional estimates of HIV prevalence among MSM, rates of HIV among Lao MtF TG were relatively low.
2. STI rates among MtF TGs are high.
3. Almost half of MtF Transgenders reported having multiple sexual partners in the past month.
4. Despite high frequency of multiple sexual partnerships, condom use with regular partners is low.
5. Consistent condom and water-based lubricant use among MtF TG with all partner types is low.
6. Increased exposure to PSI’s New Friends (Peuan Mai) program activities is associated with improved healthy behaviors among MtF TG.
Related content by category
Country: Laos, Asia / Pacific
Health Areas: HIV
Type: Quantitative Research Sum. (TRaC)
Behavior Type: HIV