PSI Global Ambassador and Board Member
Ashley Judd is a celebrated American actress and humanitarian. She became an ambassador for PSI in 2002 and joined as a board member in 2004.
Ashley has visited the slums, brothels, schools and clinics that PSI programs target in Thailand, Cambodia, Democratic Republic of the Congo, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, India, Kenya, Madagascar, Nicaragua, Rwanda and South Africa. Her visits bring light to the devastating effects of poverty, social injustice and gender inequality.
During her travels, Ashley has met with diplomats, heads of state, and religious and political leaders to promote humanitarian causes on a political level. Most recently, she joined lawmakers in Washington, D.C., to support the passing of the International Violence Against Women Act, which calls on the Secretary of State and U.S. Agency of International Development to create and implement a 5-year plan to address the issue of violence against women in nations with the highest incidence rates.
Through her work with PSI, Ashley has discovered the need for a truly holistic, balanced approach to conquer human rights, global health and social justice atrocities, and she has worked to bring PSI and complementary partners together to approach complex public health issues that affect women and other vulnerable populations around the world.
Find out more information on Ashley Judd’s involvement with PSI below:
- Ashley spoke about the work of PSI as a member of the board of speakers at the 2012 Clinton Global Initiative Winter Meeting Plenary Session. More.
- Ashley was also in attendance at the U.K’s Global Summit on Family Planning in July 2012. Read more about this event in her Guardian op-ed article.
- Ashley, with PSI’s Five & Alive, demonstrates how the water treatment product PUR cleans dirty water and prevents waterborne diseases. Watch Ashley on the Joy Behar show.
- Read more about of Ashley’s involvement with YouthAIDS, media and events here.
Follow Ashley on Twitter @AshleyJudd, check out her page on Facebook or view her website.
PSI Global Ambassador
Internationally-recognized tennis star Anna Kournikova is expanding her role on the world stage as a voice of children’s health, sportsmanship and spirit.
Anna’s passion for youth is reflected in her work with PSI. Anna visited Haiti in early 2009 with PSI, where she promoted safe drinking water and malaria prevention. In October 2010, Anna joined the Center for Social Development and Information (CSDI), PSI’s Russian affiliate, to help raise awareness about the health challenges facing youth. Check out this video for more from Anna’s trip to Russia with PSI.
Find out more about Anna’s involvement with PSI below:
- Anna, with PSI, supported United Against Malaria’s efforts for World Malaria Day 2010. More.
- Anna attended YouthAIDS events with PSI ambassadors and humanitarian leaders. More.
Check out her page on Facebook.
PSI Global Ambassador
Debra Messing is an American actress and Global Health Ambassador for PSI. As an Ambassador, Debra has visited PSI’s HIV prevention programs in Zimbabwe and Zambia to bring attention to progress being made against the epidemic.
In 2009 and 2012, Debra traveled with PSI to Zimbabwe and Zambia, respectively, as PSI’s YouthAIDS ambassador, to highlight the countries as one of the few success stories in terms of decline in HIV prevalence and increase in prevention practices in the area. The attention brought by her celebrity and personality allowed PSI to share stories of hope and the good work PSI is doing through multiple media outlets and on donor websites.
While in Zimbabwe and Zambia, Debra visited multiple PSI project sites including testing and counseling centers, male circumcision clinics, a warehouse facility, a support group for HIV positive people, launch of a new oral contraceptive pill, and she also made time to meet with senior staff at the U.K. Department for International Development and the U.S. Agency for International Development.
Find out more about Debra’s involvement with PSI below:
- Debra was a key speaker at several events during the 2012 International AIDS Conference. More
- News Clip: PSI in Politico: Debra Messing’s Real Life Movie. Listen Here
- Press Release: PSI Ambassador Debra Messing Testifies before House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee. More
- Debra met with Tears Wenzira while in Zimbabwe with PSI. Read her story.
Follow Debra on Twitter @DebraMessing.
PSI Global Ambassador
Amanda Leigh “Mandy” Moore is an American singer-songwriter, actress and humanitarian. Moore joined PSI in 2008 as an Ambassador for its child survival programs, which provides children and their families with the education, products, services and care needed to improve their health and save lives in more than 30 countries around the world.
On her first trip with PSI, Mandy helped launch a mass distribution of 3 million insecticide-treated mosquito nets to children suffering from malaria in South Sudan. The initiative, which was undertaken in partnership with the Southern Sudanese Ministry of Health and with funding from the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria ensured that pregnant women and newborn babies are protected from the deadly disease.
In 2010 and 2011, Mandy helped raise more than $2.2 million through the United Nations Foundation’s Nothing But Nets campaign to support nationwide net distributions in the Central African Republic and Cameroon. She visited both countries to launch the distribution and joined a bipartisan group of U.S. congressional staffers in Cameroon to learn how partnership plays a critical role in covering an entire country with long-lasting insecticide-treated mosquito nets.
Mandy has attended Clinton Global Initiative University and became a Young Global Shaper for the World Economic Forum.
Find out more about Mandy’s involvement with PSI below:
- Mandy Moore narrates new video on the ‘best kept secret in global health’. Watch.
- Press Release: Mandy Moore calls on Congress for clean water. More.
- Press Release: Mandy Moore distributes life-saving nets in the Central African Republic. More.
- Five & Alive Ambassador Mandy Moore tapes a personal message to urge supporters to donate what they can to relief efforts in Haiti. Watch her video.
Follow Mandy on Twitter @TheMandyMoore or check out her website.